Friday, November 16, 2007

Upcoming (well, it'll be awhile) big press titles of interest

Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea by Noah Andre Trudeau (HarperCollins, Aug 2008). Eric mentioned a while back that Trudeau was working on a Sherman's March project, but this is the first public notice I've come across. There is certainly plenty of room for a full study.

Lincoln's Darkest Year: The War in 1862 by William Marvel (Houghton Mifflin, July 2008). I think I heard or read somewhere that Marvel was planning a three volume series, so I wonder if this is Part 2. This one is from the same publisher, anyway. Marvel's earlier study [reviewed here] received a generally mixed reception, but I find his often provocative views to be always worth a listen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear about the Trudeau book. Given his track record with Eastern Theater topics, this bodes well for Sherman's March. I like his writing.

    As for Marvel, he was pretty ambitious (foolish?) to take on an analytical or Op-Ed Lincoln trilogy. It's a crowded field. I have enjoyed some of his works, but have more of a "wait & see" attitude toward his recent projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here re: Marvel vol. 1. I thought radically transforming the project midstream really made a mess out of the book. Also, the title gave everyone the natural impression that the direct focus would be on Lincoln, which was not the case at all.

    ReplyDelete

***PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING***: You must SIGN YOUR NAME when submitting your comment. In order to maintain civil discourse and ease moderating duties, anonymous comments will be deleted. Comments containing outside promotions and/or product links will also be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.