Saturday, November 27, 2010

Slow season

October and November sure seem like the weakest Fall I've seen since beginning to keep track of such things. I don't think it points toward any particular trend. A few Fall scheduled releases have been pushed into December, and the situation could very well be that the numbers are similar but with fewer titles than usual appealing to me personally. Perhaps some publishers are holding back books in the (farfetched) hope that the first year of the Sesquicentennial "celebrations" will significantly boost sales. Who knows. The good news is my previously huge review copy pile evaporated during this time, and the bad that I had to burn through my backlog of completed reviews I always save up over time for weeks when I don't feel like writing.

I should have my annual 'Best of the Year' list up soon, maybe as early as next week.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that this has been a weak Fall...usually I have several Civil War books on my Christmas wish list, but this year I only put two CW books on the wish list. On the other hand, I'm eagerly awaiting the publication of the Dakota Dawn book that you highlighted in a recent posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,
    I just finished the Ball letters book from State House Press, titled "Love and War". It is a great T-M title that I think you'll greatly enjoy. My review should appear next week.

    I think the Dakota Dawn book and Frazier's vol 2 are my two most anticipated titles for next year (at least for the Spring/Summer catalogs).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm finally going to start on the first volume of Frazier.

    Joel Manuel
    Baton Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, Drew. We have three heading your way now:

    "Abraham Lincoln and the Structure of Reason," by Hirsh and Van Aften, is especially intriguing. Of course, David Powell's fresh study of Forrest, Wheeler, and the Confederate cavalry in "Failure in the Saddle" and "The Rashness of That Hour, by Robert Wynstra, which dissects the problems in Iverson's brigade up to and through the debacle at Gettysburg on July 1, are no slouches either. Hope you enjoy them all.

    Tps

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting "Failure in the Saddle" and the Iverson book for Christmas. :)

    Joel M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choices, Joel. I would say that even if we had not published them. We have signed/personalized copies if you would like them. :)

    Merry Christmas.

    Tps

    ReplyDelete

***PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING***: You must SIGN YOUR NAME when submitting your comment. In order to maintain civil discourse and ease moderating duties, anonymous comments will be deleted. Comments containing outside promotions and/or product links will also be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.