Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Confederate Invasion of Iowa"

David Woodbury, of the always excellent Of Battlefields and Bibliophiles blog, posted today a note about a marker in Bloomfield (Davis County), Iowa commemorating the northernmost point reached by pro-Confederate forces in the state. Take a look at it here.

I just thought I would add a CWBA addendum and mention the only publication I know of that documents the event, Russell Corder's The Confederate Invasion of Iowa (1997). No copies have been made available through interlibrary loan, and I've looked off and on for years in the online book markets and have never come across a listing for this 30 page booklet. It remains a mystery.

5 comments:

  1. I fired off an email to Rusty Corder at the Wapello County Historical Museum, where he was curator as recently as 2006. I had seen mention of that booklet too, and am curious. Maybe he sells them at the museum store. I'll let you know if I hear from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, please do. It is listed at the museum bookstore but no mention of how to order (museums in general are terrible at selling online):

      http://wapellocountymuseum.com/museum/?page_id=36

      Delete
  2. And thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drew--Is the product listed here?
    http://www.marshallhistory.org/products.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I know that this is an older post. This is Russell Corder. I am currently re-writing the raid book and hopefully, by the years end, I will have it complete. It will be larger and more detailed as I have come across more information. If you would like to contact me please feel free to at soapcreekproductions@yahoo.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

***PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING***: You must SIGN YOUR NAME when submitting your comment. In order to maintain civil discourse and ease moderating duties, anonymous comments will be deleted. Comments containing outside promotions and/or product links will also be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.