Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Booknotes (February '12)

New Arrivals:

1. Lincoln's Cavalrymen: A History of the Mounted Forces of the Army of the Potomac, 1861-1865 by Edward G Longacre (Univ of Okla Pr, 2012).

2. Lee's Cavalrymen: A History of the Mounted Forces of the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865 by Edward G Longacre (Univ of Okla Pr, 2012).

This is a set of paperback reprints of the original Stackpole publications from 2000 and 2002. Excepting his recent history of the cavalry of the Army of Tennessee, I've never been much of a Longacre reader, so I can't speak to how important these two books are to the study of the opposing eastern theater mounted arms. Perhaps Eric can chime in.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that they were quite good. I've owned them since they originally came out. The one on the Army of the Potomac's cavalry is particularly important as it was the best thing done on that branch of the Army since Stephen Starr's wonderful books.

    The bibliography that each book contains are also treasure troves of interesting sources and reading.

    I would recommend them as I think they are in the top echelon of work that Longacre has done.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own these, but have not read them yet.

    I have read a few books by Longacre and enjoy the author. He does good biographies.

    I'll have to bump these up in my reading list.

    ReplyDelete

***PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING***: You must SIGN YOUR NAME when submitting your comment. In order to maintain civil discourse and ease moderating duties, anonymous comments will be deleted. Comments containing outside promotions and/or product links will also be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.